Thursday, July 26, 2012

Book Recommendation: Committed

I'm in the middle of reading a great book, picked up with no idea how well it fit into Marriage Revolution ponderings. It is Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage, by Elizabeth Gilbert.

The book is a follow on to Eat, Pray, Love, and was prompted by the threat that her Brazilian lover (who was introduced in that book) might not be able to enter the United States unless he becomes her husband. Both of them were marriage averse, having survived ugly divorces. Gilbert therefore jumps into a study of marriage both through history and current research.

I have to get my own copy (this one is from the library) so that I can reread it, mark it up, and pull extracts for this blog.

The current same-sex marriage legal debate gains interesting context from the book, which I'll be unfolding in future posts.

Meanwhile, check out the book yourself. It's an entertaining read as well as being useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment